Job Purpose: Power U requires a talented and enthusiastic individual to lead and help direct the Power U’s Admin & Fundraising programming. This person would be responsible for implementing and overseeing the organization’s finances with the Executive Director while helping to grow a grassroots fundraising committee that is led by community members. In addition this role collaborates frequently with Operations and Communications staff to support organizing success, and supervises the Operations Manager to ensure the smooth functioning of the Power U office. This position is full time, in person in Miami, FL.
Ideal candidates should have previous grassroots fundraising experience and be comfortable working with youth and other community members, and be committed to the values of racial, economic, and gender justice (see the Power U Principles of Unity on our website). They should also be familiar with the principles of reproductive justice.
Reports to: Power U Executive Director
Supervises: Currently Supervises 1 Operations Manager
Key Areas of Work
Administration & Finance (20%)
● Coordinate finances and accounts with our fiscal sponsor
● Work with and manage finance and accounting of our contractors, for example food & venue caterers, as well as contracts with consultants used by organization.
● Manage and update organizational cash flow monthly, monitoring spending and revenue
● Present on the financial health of the organization to the ED and staff at key quarterly retreats.
● Prepare the Annual Budget with the support and goals of the Executive Director
Grow & Maintain Fund Development Committee (30%)
● Develop and lead grassroots fundraising initiatives through committees, including identifying creative opportunities, working with members, volunteers, and board members to implement events, and set targets.
● Lead committee to carry out tasks for our Annual Fundraiser and periodic mixers.
● Coordinate follow up with donors and sustainers to keep them engaged.
● Work with the Communications Manager to implement supporting communications for fundraising initiatives.
Grant management (30%)
● Help research and identify new grant funding opportunities
● Work with ED to complete funding proposals and reports
Supervise of 1 Staff Member (20%)
● Manage and supervise the Operations Coordinator to plan Organizational Logistics and maintain office Protocols and systems.
● Must Provide annual Review and Monthly Feedback to Staff Members
Qualifications for Operations and Development Director
● 2-5 years’ experience in non-profit operations and development, specifically demonstrated success in grassroots fundraising for an organization or campaign.
● Experience developing and managing fundraising strategies and plans for a large program and/ or organization
● Has, or can create, a system for keeping tasks from slipping through the cracks. Able to juggle competing demands and prioritize without sacrificing quality
● Experience with monitoring and evaluation systems to track program and budget progress.
● Engages multiple stakeholders, works collaboratively, and builds trust and followership from across the organization
Strong written and verbal communication skills
● Ability to develop a compelling pitch and/or narrative (both written and verbally) tailored to the interests/needs of a particular audience or stakeholder
● Attention to detail: Ability to capture the “voice” of Power U and produce high-quality written materials. Notices and fixes errors that others might overlook.
Commitment to social, racial, reproductive, and educational justice
● Believes in the power of organizing that centers impacted communities to challenge and change conditions of oppression into systems where marginalized communities can thrive.
● Understands the school to prison pipeline’s harmful impact within educational systems.
● Willing to participate in political education processes and further develop personal political analysis
● Enthusiasm for meeting and engaging with people. Empathizes with the communities we serve. Able to put people at ease, especially when there are lines of difference. Listens closely to understand needs or concerns and takes steps based on that input. Respond to people in a timely manner. Takes pride in providing clear, helpful information.
● Track record of building strong relationships with a diverse range of people, across race, gender, and other identities
● Willing to receive and provide regular feedback to support ongoing growth.
• Willing to work irregular hours and to travel, this includes weekends and evening times when necessary, as well as attending overnight convenings.
MUST HAVE: Has an explicit commitment to or have demonstrated experience with conducting grassroots fundraising
Salary and Benefits:
This position comes with a salary of $70,000 per year with 24 paid vacation days, 8 days of sick leave, additionally, Power U is closed for rest and rejuvenation after the Campaign organizing cycle for 3 weeks in late September. Health, dental, vision insurance and a flexible spending account (FSA) stipend is also provided.
Relocation Assistance is available if the right candidate lives outside of Miami, FL.
People of color, LGBTQ+, women and young people are highly encouraged to apply.
How to apply: Send your cover letter, resume, and three references to our Application Form. Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis until the position is filled.