OBS Seeks Executive Director
The Organization for Black Struggle (OBS) is seeking an Executive Director. We seek an experienced
and dynamic executive leader who, in partnership with members, board and staff, will be prepared
to carry forward and build on OBS’ 41 year history of multi-issue organizing for Black liberation in
the St. Louis region. We are looking for a skilled manager, with a background progressive organizing,
who will be able to provide leadership and direction for OBS that will continue to expand our base
among black communities and allies who will support and fund our work. The Executive Director
will oversee operations of OBS to ensure the organization’s financial stability, the quality of its
strategic campaigns and programs, the building of a strong membership base, the development of
community leaders, and the maintenance of its relationships with key stakeholders.
About the Organization for Black Struggle
The Organization for Black Struggle was founded in 1980 by activists, students, union organizers and
other community members to fill a vacuum left by the assaults on the Black Power Movement. OBS
is built upon the Black radical experiences and traditions of past leaders and organizations. We
envision the creation of a society free of all forms of exploitation and oppression. We seek to build a
movement that fights for political empowerment, economic justice and the cultural dignity of the
African American community, especially the Black working class.
● Passion for and commitment to Black Liberation and an intersectional analysis on how to
build political power and leadership of Black working class communities.
● Five years of senior leadership experience in a community-organizing environment with
significant supervisory responsibilities.
● Experience working within working class Black communities to build leadership capacity with
the goal of making societal and political change.
● Demonstrated results in managing organizing staff in a collaborative environment.
● Demonstrated track record of leading fundraising through private philanthropy, including
foundations, individual giving, grassroots fundraising, and special events.
● Exceptional verbal and written communications skills, including the ability to craft compelling
documents and deliver inspiring presentations and represent OBS and its programs to a
range of stakeholders.
● Experience with and/or understanding of grassroots organizing, digital tools and strategies
for organizing, public policy.
● Experience with or understanding of 501(c)(3) & 501(c)(4) grants & programs
● Strong team and collaboration orientation, as well as the ability to work independently.
● Ability to travel locally, statewide and nationally, and participate in evening and weekend
● Flexibility, sense of humor, and creative problem solving skills.
The Executive Director will advance the work of the Organization for Black Struggle through the
following basic responsibilities:
-Organizing, Advocacy, and Program Leadership
-Organizational Development and Management:
Compensation & Benefits
This is a full-time, salaried position with some travel. Competitive benefits package is available,
including medical, dental, vacation and sick leave. Salary range is $65,000-$70,000 and based upon
Send a cover letter, three references, and a resume to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Executive
Director Job Position” in the subject line. Please, no phone calls.
OBS is an equal opportunity employer and strongly encourages applications from people of color, people with
disabilities, women, and LGBTQIA applicants.