Field Organizer Position ot NBFJA
About NBFJA and The Praxis Project
The Praxis Project is a values-driven, national nonprofit organization that seeks to improve health justice
through partnerships to build community power. Praxis believes strongly that organized communities are critical
partners in the struggle to create healthy communities. Praxis works with over 200 diverse grassroots groups
across the United States that influence local policy, mobilize communities, and strengthen programs and
organizations to improve health justice. Praxis works in strong partnership to enable local efforts to build
community power through training, technical assistance, and capacity building services, as well as
comprehensive fiscal sponsorship. Our capacity-building programming is focused on partnerships that actively
advance Praxis’ mission to build healthy communities by transforming the power relationships and structures
that affect our lives. For more information, please visit www.thepraxisproject.org.
National Black Food and Justice Alliance is a coalition of Black-led organizations working towards cultivating
and advancing Black leadership, building Black self-determination, Black institution building and organizing for
food sovereignty, land and justice. The Alliance seeks to achieve this by engaging in broad based coalition
organizing for black food and land, increasing visibility of Black led narratives and work, advancing Black led
visions for just and sustainable communities, and building capacity for self-determination within our local,
national, and international food systems and land rights work.
Our areas of focus include black food sovereignty, self-determining food economies, and land. We
approach food sovereignty, land and self-determining food economies via the lens of healing, organizing and
resistance against anti-Blackness.
NBFJA is comprehensively fiscally sponsored by The Praxis Project and The Praxis Project is the legal
employer for this position. This position’s salary and fringe costs including benefits premiums and the employer
match for the 401k plan are fully funded by available NBFJA-specific funding only.
The NBFJA Field Organizer, in coordination with anchor organizers, is responsible for executing and reporting
on field objectives including community surveying, listening sessions,and the Black Farmer Map + Directory;
coordinating regional convenings of folks working on collective land strategies and building productive
enterprises; and developing translocal campaigns that center land displacement and building power for our
The Field Organizer position is full-time (40 hours per week), exempt, fully benefits eligible, reports to the
NBFJA Field Director, and is paid an annual salary of $55,000
Duties and responsibilities
1) Executing and Reporting Field Objective:
● Conduct community surveys on barriers to land access
● Host community listening sessions on land displacement
● Identify Black Farmers for inclusion on Black Farmer Map + Directory within strategic sites
● Assist anchor organizers in building locally grounded coalitions
2) Coordinating Regional Convenings and Training:
● Convene organizations and individuals working on land displacement across urban and rural
● Build network of Black-led Community Land Trust and those working on collective land
● Support implementation of political education on community land, community wealth and
● Assist with Land Link apprenticeships and kazi mobs
3) Developing Translocal Campaigns: Community Land Defense + Development
● Amplify narrative of Invest/Divest and Community Control
● Identify targets and pillars for community action
● Expand capacity for and support of locally grounded Mutual Aid projects
● Build coalitions and connections across issues (housing, food, health, prisons, etc)
Required qualifications: education and experience
● Must have knowledge of food, land, and environmental justice issues, particularly as they relate to Black communities.
● Must have at minimum, basic organizing skills.
● An interest in coalition building, political education, and grassroots organizing.
● Familiarity or willingness to work in a nontraditional remote working environment.
● Ability to multitask.
● Ability to work in a team and meet deadlines.
● Familiarity or willingness to learn alongside various communities.
● Self starter.
Physical and mental demands
● Fast-paced work environment
● high level of attention to detail required
● Ability to lift up to 20 pounds is required
● A mix of local/overnight travel statewide is required.
● Valid driver’s license, clean driving record, access to safe personal vehicle, and all required insurance is
required for employees driving on NBFJA business. Driving record checks may be required as well.
All Praxis employees including employees of its fiscally-sponsored projects are required to complete training on
preventing harassment and discrimination, managing bias, and creating an inclusive workplace on an at least
Criminal background checks
Praxis employees working directly with minor children may be subject to criminal background checks. Praxis
takes a progressive approach to background checks but must comply with all applicable state and local laws.
Equal Opportunity Employer
The Praxis Project is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of actual or
perceived race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, gender, gender identity, and gender expression, religious
creed, disability (mental and physical) including HIV, AIDS, and AIDS-related conditions, medical condition
(including cancer and genetic characteristics), genetic information, age, marital status, sexual orientation,
military and veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local law.
The Praxis Project offers a competitive full-time benefits package that includes employer-sponsored medical,
dental, and vision insurance plans, 11+ paid holidays, accrued paid vacation, accrued paid sick leave, 401(k)
retirement plan with employer match, access to commuter, dependent care, and healthcare expenses flexible
spending accounts, and more.